- muscles in the neck run up into the lower jaw
- tight neck, neck muscle cramps, and neck muscle strains can cause jaw pain
- problems with the jaw can cause neck pain
There are many reasons why jaw, shoulder and neck muscles and nerves one can antagonize the other:
- The jaw muscles are controlled primary by the trigeminal nerve (C5) – Pressure on this nerve through the spine, muscle cramps, or inflammation can lead to poor functioning of the jaw.
- Abnormal posture. The major muscles that hold up the head are in the neck and jaw. These are assisted by smaller muscles at the top of the spine. Fatigue of these smaller muscles places greater strain on the neck and jaw causing the neck to hyper-extend. The cause of most neck and jaw pain is the trapeze muscle which extends from the head to the shoulders.
- Stress also causes the muscles in the neck to tighten, which can lead to many types of neck pain and jaw pain itself.
- Fibromyalgia – Head together with the neck positioning creates chronic fatigue and immune dysfunction.
- Whiplash – the disc in the jaw joint being pushed out-of-place, leading to severe neck pain and jaw pain.
- Temporamandibular Joint Syndrome – Nerve inflammation and structural abnormalities. Headache, shoulder pain, right-sided or left neck pain.
Nerves connect the muscles of the face, jaw and neck to the cervical spine. If these muscles are tense pain can be felt in the face, neck and ears.
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome – shoulder, jaw, and neck pain with sinus infections on one side. Compression of neurovascular structures may lead to tense muscles and referred pain throughout the head and neck.
- Muscular and Nerve Issues – Temporamandibular Jaw problems and anterior repositioning
- Nodes, Salivary Glands, and Dental Problems and Lymph Glands – grinding teeth abscess, infection
Jaw and neck pain can be both acute and chronic and result from trauma or slowly with structural issues
Support healthy jaw function and break free from pain by cultivating awareness and experiencing:
- Primary Movements of the Jaw
- Shoulder, Neck and Jaw Connections
- Head and Jaw Integration
- Eyes and Jaw Integration
- Cheek and Tongue Integration
Empathy from cultivating awareness from the inside out
The intent of this article is in the context of how communication and movement can support the decrease of anxiety, stress & fear.
- InTouch Communication: Values & Empathy integration in communication for transforming disconnection into connection
- Feldenkrais Movement: calming one’s nervous system.
Natural World Empathy Support
- Natures Love plant essences blended by Renee: support body, and minds feelings that block emotions and self-confidence
- Eating Coloured Foods: Metal, Emotional and Physical Support
- Find out more on how integrating the arts of movement, communication and space compliment your experience and encompasses a holistic approach to wellness.
Connect with Renee to book Functional Integation Session for you Jaw, Neck & Shoulder Discomfort
Sign up for #yyj Feldenkrais Awareness through Movement Jaw Workshop
Follow on Twitter, Instagram Pinterest or Facebook for more tips
Renee Lindstrom, GCFP,
Feldenkrais® Practitioner since 2007, Value-Based Communication & Empathy Coach since 2004, Art of Placement since 2000, Founder of Greater Victoria Peace & Intercultural Celebrations since 2010 & Greater Victoria Labyrinths since 2012, #yyj Peace Week Calendar Founder – 2014 & 2015