Integration of Body, Mind & Spatial Awareness
In a workshop describing the changes in parts of the brain through the use of Empathy, a reference was made to Dr. Bolte Taylor’s, author of A Stoke of Insight. Dr. Bolte Taylor’s describes her experiences of receiving emphatic and non-emphatic responses during her recovery from a stroke.
The concept of empathy was demonstrated as a technique to thaw frozen expectations and conceptions to create new experiences for changing the patterns and neural pathways of feelings such as shame, anxiety, or irritation.
The demonstration was to increase an understanding of our own responses to outside stimulus, how we receive information and react to it. Responses based upon left brain or right brain dominance.
It was explained activities of our brain in the areas of social engagement, fight, flight and freeze when going beyond personal windows of tolerance. A comparison was made to physical reactions and the reactions of the left and right hemispheres, to the stimulus of gossiping, sniping, criticizing, moral superiority and logic.
Moving out of our windows of tolerance the experience could be;
- discomfort, distracting, diverting, confusion, denying, advising, diagnosing, education, demands, judgments, blame, comparison
into short term emotions:
- anger, fear, yelling, violence, slamming doors, hanging up, leaving
further into long term reactions
- overwhelmed, mortification, terror, dissociation, numbing, going into a trance, leaving your body, going deeply into confusion, being unable to feel your body, shame, not caring what happens to you
Empathy from cultivating awareness from the inside out
The intent of this article is in the context of how communication and movement can support the decrease of anxiety, stress & fear.
- InTouch Communication: Values & Empathy integration in communication for transforming disconnection into connection
- Feldenkrais Movement: calming one’s nervous system.
Natural World Empathy Support
Natures Love plant essences blended by Renee: support body, and minds feelings that block emotions and self-confidence
Eating Coloured Foods: Metal, Emotional and Physical Support
- Find out more on how integrating the arts of movement, communication and space compliment your experience and encompasses a holistic approach to wellness.
Renee Lindstrom, GCFP,
Feldenkrais® Practitioner since 2007, Value-Based Communication & Empathy Coach since 2004, Art of Placement since 2000, Founder of Greater Victoria Peace & Intercultural Celebrations since 2010 & Greater Victoria Labyrinths since 2012, #yyj Peace Week Calendar Founder – 2014 & 2015