SACRAL CHAKRA – BELLY AREA (WATER ELEMENT – CREATIVITY)
- Located: between pubic bone and belly button
- Colour: Orange
- Element: Water
The Sacral Chakra, also known as the 2nd chakra is an energizing color and associated with self-respect, creativity, purity, togetherness, feminine sensuality, sexuality and manifestation.
Body Associations: uterus, large bowel, prostate, ovaries, and testes.
Effects when Sacral Chakra is out of balance
- Depression, mood swings, confusion, jealousy, envy, anger, blame, resentment, materialism
- Evaluative thoughts of betrayal, lack of impotency or loss, self-rejection, low esteem, addictive behaviour (overindulgence in food, money or sex), giving and receiving, desires
- prostate difficulties, bladder problems, infertility, ovarian cysts, kidney issues, lower back pain, hip pain, pelvic pain, life force, procreation, assimilation of food, sexuality
The guided patterns Awareness through Movement® lessons can increase ones available movement through the integration of movement patterns that may no longer be being used. An example of this for the Sacral Chakra is the pelvic movements that one would see or experience in belly dance. These two figures below demonstrate how movements in this area may become restricted.
All guided Awareness through Movement® Lessons, called ATM’s, would support the 2nd Chakra. The pelvis is the power center of structural movements and therefore would be affected by any increased flexible movement patterns.
Try this example experience of 8 steps to get in touch with your somatic awareness capabilities:
- In a sitting position on a chair notice your sit bones – the bony points.
- Bring yourself forward on the chair to free up your thighs and back, place feet flat on the floor and hands on things. Now check in to your sit bones and notice if they feel differently that in step 1.
- Now tilt your pelvis forward a few times while noticing how you do this. Does your back arch or stay straight? If your back stays straight, are you leaning your torso forward to tilt your pelvis? If so, can you tilt your pelvis forward without leaning your whole upper body forward?
- Pause a moment and in stopping, check in to notice if you feel your sit bones on the chair differently?
- Now come back and tilt your pelvis backward a few times while noticing how you do this. Does your back stay straight while you lean you whole upper body back? If so, can you move your pelvis back without tilting your head, shoulders and torso back? What happens to your lower back if you initiate the movement from your pelvis without tilting?
- Pause a moment and notice what you feel now sitting on the chair. Where does your attention go?
- Come back and alternate this tilt of your pelvis forward and backward. a number of times. As you take your pelvis backward let your lower back round somewhat and make room to let your upper body drop down. As you tilt your pelvis forward let your upper body lengthen and become taller. Begin to sync your breath in with bringing your pelvis forward and release your breath as you take your pelvis backward.
- Pause and in resting notice what has changed. Where is your attention going now?
For more information on #yyj Feldenkrais® opportunities visit Renee’s Calendar
Renee has been sharing Feldenkrais® professionally since 2007 through personal session called Functional Integration® and in group workshops called Awareness through Movement® Lessons.
Pathway Choices to Wellness