Integration of Body, Mind & Spatial Awareness
Portland, OR- January 9, 2007- The Feldenkrais Guild® of North America Makes an announcement about Feldenkrais Method® Lessons and Lengthening Hamstrings.
In the Physical Therapy Journal (Volume 86, Number 12, December 2006) a research study by Temple University Professor James Stephens, PT, PhD, CFP, found that hamstring muscles can be lengthened using specific Awareness Through Movement (ATM) lessons without any stretching.
Previous studies have shown that the traditional approach to passive stretching to increase muscle flexibility does not produce long-term changes in the viscoelastic properties of muscle. In Dr. Stephens’ study, the experimental group engaging in the complex active movements of ATM lessons gained significantly more hamstring muscle length compared with the control group continuing normal activity. The study results suggest a wide range of applications of ATM for problems of flexibility and mobility. Further research is needed.
ATM lessons are typically experienced in a group atmosphere where a Feldenkrais practitioner verbally guides students through a series of slow, gentle movements. The method was developed by Moshe Feldenkrais, D.Sc. (1904-1984), an engineer, physicist and martial arts expert. Currently there are over 1700 practitioners of the method in the United States and Canada.
Empathy from cultivating awareness from the inside out
The intent of this article is in the context of how communication and movement can support the decrease of anxiety, stress & fear.
- InTouch Communication: Values & Empathy integration in communication for transforming disconnection into connection
- Feldenkrais Movement: calming one’s nervous system.
Natural World Empathy Support
- Natures Love plant essences blended by Renee: support body, and minds feelings that block emotions and self-confidence
- Eating Coloured Foods: Metal, Emotional and Physical Support
- ‘ and our ‘ on
- InTouch on the Brain – ‘Reactions to Stress’
- Experiencing Presence through Left Brain, Right Brain Movement Awareness
- Find out more on how integrating the arts of movement, communication and space compliment your experience and encompasses a holistic approach to wellness.
Renee Lindstrom, GCFP,
Feldenkrais® Practitioner since 2007, Value-Based Communication & Empathy Coach since 2004, Art of Placement since 2000, Founder of Greater Victoria Peace & Intercultural Celebrations since 2010 & Greater Victoria Labyrinths since 2012, #yyj Peace Week Calendar Founder – 2014 & 2015